Dr. Bill O' Gorman, from WIT, speaking about this site on WLR

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Tipperary: The golden vale of the Suir

Tipperary is the largest inland county in Ireland and its name comes from the Gaelic Tiobraid Arann, meaning well of Era. Tipperary was controlled by the Kings of Munster until the ascension of Brian Boru. The county remained predominately free from Viking exploitation, and the coming of the Anglo-Normans saw Tipperary placed in the protective custody ofthe Butlers until the forces of Oliver Cromwell ravaged Ireland.

South Tipperary is an administrative county in Ireland, consisting of 52% of the land area of the historical county of Tipperary. South Tipperary was established in 1898, and has had a county council ever since, with separate assize courts since 1838. The county seat is Clonmel; other important urban centres include Carrick-on-Suir, Cashel, Cahir, and Tipperary.

Although local people's identification is generally with the historic (and sporting) county, nevertheless North and South Tipperarry are run as two completely separate counties, in different government regions, for all administrative purposes. The different regions refer to the fact that South Tipperary County is legally defined as being in the southeast' and falls under the control of that regional authority, while North Tipperary County is regarded as being in the midwest.

The Golden Vale of Tipperary, famed for its fertility, stretches from Fcthard westward by Cashel and Tipperary town to Kilmallock. Except for Lough Derg on the Shannon, which flows along the north-western edge of the county, lakes are almost absent. The county is drained by tributaries of the Shannon in the north and by the Suir in the centre and south.

No comments: